Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The White Giraffe

This is another good story!!! Wow... so far this year's Rebecca Caudill Nominations are definitely earning their nominations. The White Giraffe is about a young girl who loses her parents when they die in a house fire. The 11 year old, Martine, is sent to live in Africa with her grandmother that she has never met. The two of them don't hit it off well, but nevertheless Martine has a strong sense that she belongs there. The Grandmother (Gwyn) is the director of an wild animal reserve and is helped by Tendai and Alex. Martine hears of a legend about a White Giraffe and begins to search for the animal even after her grandmother insists it to be legendary. Martine finds the white giraffe but realizes the importance of keeping the existence secret as she distrusts one of the helpers within her grandmother's reserve. Martine begins to understand many of the feelings she has been having after meeting Grace, medicine woman, and learning the reasons her family left Africa originally. The existence of the White Giraffe becomes known and it is captured by poachers. Only one person can save it! The question is... does Martine have the courage?

Have you read it? What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. I have read it and it is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Claybuster.. I am so glad you found something other than Gary Paulsen books!!! How is On My Honor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great but I would still be reading Gary Pualsen but I am out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so claybuster have you read all of them all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though this is irrelevant to the submission i'm posting in, Are you planning on putting Someone Named Eva on here after you read it?
    -Quentin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am almost done reading it. I think so far it is a great book and it is the type of book i cant put down, although i imagined her being a bit older, it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quentin - - I certainly will add Someone Named Eva after I get to it, BUT why do I need to wait for it to make our blog. Why don't you make an entry for me. I will let you post for me or you can write it and I will type it. Let me know if you're interested. Would love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete